Now I know that this has been discussed on Meta.SO, and that poll questions are rather unpopular here on SE. However this request is slightly different, in that it refers only to Meta sites.
There are many situations in which a community may want to poll its users on a Meta site. For example, we have here several questions that call for proposals, feedback and suggestions:
- Weekly topic challenge: call for proposals
- Name our chat room
- What Jewish print periodicals do you read?
- Your New Beta Theme
These are just a sampling of the ones that go on here and I am sure that other Meta sites have similar questions.
I think that the way these questions are handled now is very inefficient, and could be made much better.
My suggestion is to create a new type of question: a Polling Question or just a Poll. This question could behave in different way than other questions. Some of the ideas that have come up when I discussed this with @IsaacMoses♦ and @msh210♦ are:
- Polling questions should be only on Meta sites.
- Perhaps they should only be asked by mods.
- In the case of proposal calls, accepted proposal answers could be marked as completed and implemented. These could also be hidden or collapsed by default, keeping the noise low, (instead of deleting them, which keeps noise for users that can see deleted posts).
- In the case of proposal calls, the ability to sort by status.
- Perhaps answers could have titles, and the answer body would be minimized until clicked on. This would solve the space problem on poll questions that garner lots of feedback.
These are just the ideas that came up after talking about it for a few minutes. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.
I realize that the status quo is actually quite nice here on SE, but I feel it could be better.